Monday, May 23, 2011

I sewed!

At Christmas I received my first sewing machine. I really wanted one, but being that I have never sewn, I didn't know how to thread my machine. So, for the past 5 (nearly 6) months my sewing machine has been on my craft desk, taking up space and collecting dust. Until yesterday. I read the instructions on how to thread my machine and was totally confused. So I googled it. Between the great step by step google instructions I found online and the instructions that came with my sewing machine, I actually succeeded in threading my machine! By myself even! And the kicker.....it worked!! I know, I was in shock too, trust me!

So, since I had it threaded I thought, well, I will just sew a straight border around a page....EPIC FAIL!!



I can't sew a straight line to save my life so this attempt quickly turned into an experiment of all the stitches my machine had.

I have a long way to go in my sewing, but I've taken the first step! I plan to add a bit to my layouts to start. Maybe by the end of the summer I will be brave enough to attempt a camera strap cover.

4 comments:

  1. LOL - straight is overrated. Not too shabby for a first attempt I'd say!

    If you want a straight line though - grab a white chalk pencil that you can easily erase and draw your lines on first as guides...

    Happy Stitchin' Kel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for threading it all by yourself! You did so much better than I would have done on your first attempt! I see great layouts and cards in your future!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I do? I sew around the edge twice, compensating the second time for where I was a little off. It looks artsy and more even. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will quickly catch on and wonder how you survived without it.

    ReplyDelete